[Guide] How to record gameplay with very low file sizes.

CrazyBob's Cops And Robbers game information, help, faqs and guides. If you need help with something in game, this is the place!
XN52X
Commissioner

Re: [Guide] How to record gameplay with very low file sizes.

Post by XN52X »

.:Hate:. wrote:
Snitt wrote:
.:Hate:. wrote:I run the game at 1440 x 900 and when I use the 1280 x 720 portions of the game (top and bottom) get cut partially, is there a work around for this.
Are you sure it isn't an issue with your editing software/settings for editing?
Realistically, when you run the game at 1440 x 900, you may as well just record at that resolution too (Change the scaling to 100% or 1440 x 990). It's really not far off 1280 x 720 anyway so the file sizes aren't likely to get a lot bigger at all. Also, the quality should be quite a lot nicer since you won't be scaling down at all. Besides that, when you render your video, you could always just render in 1280 x 720. Pretty much going to have the exact same effect as if you had scaled down using DXTory except your file sizes will be a slight bit bigger.

TL;DR - Just set scaling to 100%. If it doesn't work, it could be your editing software.
Speaking of editing software, I use sony vegas pro 13 and I cannot get the video file to work. says there is an issue with the codec. Let me know if you know a way to fix this until then I will just continue to use bulky old fraps.
I just saw this now
Vid getting cropped is fixed by changing the resolution's aspect ratio,your resolution is at an 16:10 aspect ratio while 1280x720 is 16:9,so you should use 1280x800 instead since the AR is 16:10.
From what i understand sony vegas doesn't accept the file because it's an .avi file in a .mp4 container,so you have to use a program such as handbrake (Handbrake Tutorial http://forums.crazybobs.net/viewtopic.p ... ke#p600027) and you should be able to use it in sony vegas.
https://gfycat.com/TintedEarlyHorsefly <--- DROPPED DROPPED DROPPED
Tale007
Sergeant
Personal Saying: Love is being stupid together.

Post by Tale007 »

Since there has been reply posted in this topic I've couple questions. First of all, I must say that I lack of experience when in comes to recording gameplay and such things so I wouldn't be surprised if anyone considers my questions awkward.

So, maybe I've misunderstood something from this.. Whenever I open my DXTory, whether I minimize it or leave it open, it simply doesn't want to record. How to set it to record gameplay, as in this case is SA-MP? I've set everything like on Snitt's picture, running the program as an Administrator. Whenever I open SA-MP there's no any sign such as FPS meter, neither it starts recording when I press the keys. Also I've noticed that in my 'Profile' it says Default, and that's the only option available for 'Profile'. How so? Is it because I've downloaded pirate version, as far as I know, trial/demo versions usually split video in multiple video files while recording which is extremely annoying.

Hope that someone can help me out with this, as it seems that Snitt continuously ignores my messages. I can understand if someone is feeling annoyed or awkward if not knowing the answer but a simple reply saying 'Sorry, I don't know what's the cause of that problem' is fine, cause I don't like being ignored. Thanks.
Snitt
Commissioner
Personal Saying: Snitt #1

Post by Snitt »

Tale007 wrote:Since there has been reply posted in this topic I've couple questions. First of all, I must say that I lack of experience when in comes to recording gameplay and such things so I wouldn't be surprised if anyone considers my questions awkward.

So, maybe I've misunderstood something from this.. Whenever I open my DXTory, whether I minimize it or leave it open, it simply doesn't want to record. How to set it to record gameplay, as in this case is SA-MP? I've set everything like on Snitt's picture, running the program as an Administrator. Whenever I open SA-MP there's no any sign such as FPS meter, neither it starts recording when I press the keys. Also I've noticed that in my 'Profile' it says Default, and that's the only option available for 'Profile'. How so? Is it because I've downloaded pirate version, as far as I know, trial/demo versions usually split video in multiple video files while recording which is extremely annoying.

Hope that someone can help me out with this, as it seems that Snitt continuously ignores my messages. I can understand if someone is feeling annoyed or awkward if not knowing the answer but a simple reply saying 'Sorry, I don't know what's the cause of that problem' is fine, cause I don't like being ignored. Thanks.
Believe it or not, making helpful guides for people online doesn't mean I need to commit time to become technical support. You're one of many people who PM me about help for various things relating to the content I make and I don't have time to respond to all of them. I work in support in real life for a lot of different services such as managed networks and hosted services (Email, Hosting, EFM/ADSL circuits, VPN's, domains etc) and I don't fancy coming home and attempting to troubleshoot everybody's problems in the small amount of time I have to myself away from work. I'm sure you'd rather have no response than a response that says "Sorry, I am not your personal technical support and I'd rather enjoy my spare time rather than help every player who has issues". I'm particularly reluctant to help you with this issue specifically since I really don't support this anymore. The quality is bad and this has a LOT of issues across a lot of different hardware and I've already said before that I don't suggest using this. I personally don't use this anymore but then again, not everybody has a dedicated 2tb hard drive for video recording...

OK rant over. Let's see...
Whenever you open a game that can be recorded by DXTory, it will create a profile automatically so there's not just a default profile so the fact that there's no FPS counter or profile shows that DXTory can't detect the game. I also don't trust your pirated version of it. I'd suggest doing a full uninstall of the pirated version and downloading the trial of the legitimate version purely for troubleshooting. Try running the trial version after you've installed and and tell me if a profile or FPS counter appears in DXTory. Make sure you install and run DXTory as admin like you said before. Also, try some other games (I believe they need to be DirectX or OpenGL so things like Flash won't work) and see if any other games work.

I'd also try in both windowed and fullscreen mode to test...

I'd also make sure your OS is up to date to make sure directX doesn't have issues. If your OS is pirated too, updating it wouldn't cause any issues.

What OS are you running anyways?
Tale007
Sergeant
Personal Saying: Love is being stupid together.

Post by Tale007 »

Snitt wrote:
Tale007 wrote:Since there has been reply posted in this topic I've couple questions. First of all, I must say that I lack of experience when in comes to recording gameplay and such things so I wouldn't be surprised if anyone considers my questions awkward.

Believe it or not, making helpful guides for people online doesn't mean I need to commit time to become technical support. You're one of many people who PM me about help for various things relating to the content I make and I don't have time to respond to all of them. I work in support in real life for a lot of different services such as managed networks and hosted services (Email, Hosting, EFM/ADSL circuits, VPN's, domains etc) and I don't fancy coming home and attempting to troubleshoot everybody's problems in the small amount of time I have to myself away from work. I'm sure you'd rather have no response than a response that says "Sorry, I am not your personal technical support and I'd rather enjoy my spare time rather than help every player who has issues". I'm particularly reluctant to help you with this issue specifically since I really don't support this anymore. The quality is bad and this has a LOT of issues across a lot of different hardware and I've already said before that I don't suggest using this. I personally don't use this anymore but then again, not everybody has a dedicated 2tb hard drive for video recording...

OK rant over. Let's see...
Whenever you open a game that can be recorded by DXTory, it will create a profile automatically so there's not just a default profile so the fact that there's no FPS counter or profile shows that DXTory can't detect the game. I also don't trust your pirated version of it. I'd suggest doing a full uninstall of the pirated version and downloading the trial of the legitimate version purely for troubleshooting. Try running the trial version after you've installed and and tell me if a profile or FPS counter appears in DXTory. Make sure you install and run DXTory as admin like you said before. Also, try some other games (I believe they need to be DirectX or OpenGL so things like Flash won't work) and see if any other games work.

I'd also try in both windowed and fullscreen mode to test...

I'd also make sure your OS is up to date to make sure directX doesn't have issues. If your OS is pirated too, updating it wouldn't cause any issues.

What OS are you running anyways?
I've installed trial version and it looks that works now. The only reason why I've been refusing to install it in first place, cause most of these versions stop working in a while and then ask you for money, or license key. And it turns out that I have to pirate it anyways. So hopefully that won't happen with DXTory later. And I am running Windows 8 legally. I've got it when I bought my laptop. About your story for not being responsible as techical support, I can understand that. I've said that you may feel annoyed about that, I haven't excluded that option. And I appreciate honesty, so I wouldn't be offended by your answer. Thanks for help.
Snitt
Commissioner

Post by Snitt »

Well regardless, the fact that it works with your trial version shows that there's not really an issue here. There's a good chance the trial version is a more updated version (Probably windows 8 support) and that your pirated copy is a previous version that doesn't work with your OS/setup.

Although I honestly don't really care about piracy on a personal level, I don't think anybody is going to help you with a pirated copy that isn't working when we can prove that the paid version is working fully.

I'd suggest just buying the software and supporting the developers and then you have no more worries.
Primitive
Commissioner
Personal Saying: DON'T RANDOMLY RANDOM RDM FOR NO REASON

Post by Primitive »

Is there a guide for Fraps?
Snitt
Commissioner

Post by Snitt »

Primitive wrote:Is there a guide for Fraps?
Not one that I've made.
I don't recommend this DXTory guide but that applies even more so to Fraps. There is no advantage to recording with Fraps other than ease-of-use (laziness) when it comes to strictly recording content.
Nelle
Commissioner

Post by Nelle »

Fraps is recording software and it don't need some guide, just press the button to start and stop the recording.
He is explaining how to decrease video file after recording.
billman87
Commissioner

Post by billman87 »

https://encodingtalk.com/threads/encode ... thod.3147/

Here is some further information, at a website dedicated to talking about recording.
Kopi
Captain

Post by Kopi »

I just wanna say: Recording with such a low CRF is only good for direct uploads. If you're video editing record with some lossless codec instead. That way all the information will be kept and your video will look perfect when you transcode it (as long you do it correctly) . If you don't have enough storage for that matter then buy some. HDDs are cheap these days.
Here sometimes.