[Guide] How to record gameplay with very low file sizes.

CrazyBob's Cops And Robbers game information, help, faqs and guides. If you need help with something in game, this is the place!
Firas_
Sergeant
Personal Saying: Im not a pro im just a boss

Re: [Guide] How to record gameplay with very low file sizes.

Post by Firas_ »

nice
__________ Image

Joined - 2008 | Regular Player - 2009 | Donating Player - 2012
Stifmeister
Sergeant

Post by Stifmeister »

I'm having the same problem as A5H I guess. I have most of my vids recorded with DXtory and now that's the time I have to edit them , this happends. Can you Snitt or anyone else help me with this ? I need it so much

*DxTory videos*
The problem is in the video preview. I dont know what that is. It's not the Best(Auto) problem cause I was experimenting with somethings.

When I try to edit , the whole screen freezes

*Fraps videos*
AwpSpade
Lieutenant
Personal Saying: Currently not active

Post by AwpSpade »

billman87 wrote:Nice Guide, this works for some however I have played with Dxtory and dislike the output to x264 as output for a few reasons. Most already mentioned.

Output to MP4 format is only effective if you have substantial CPU/RAM resources available and don't wish to extensively edit the recorded footage.

I don't suggest compressing on the fly, It works but the results can be less than desirable.
Investing in a dedicated 1-2 TB (WD BLACK) drive is the most effective way to ensure seamless recording.

Now to the Technical stuff, you can use the Lagarith Codec in DxTory for result very similar to fraps with improved performance.
Download from http://lags.leetcode.net/codec.html
This is a System Codec that DxTory can use to encode with.

The file size is a little bit smaller than fraps but the performance difference is remarkable.
I see 4-10% CPU overhead compared to 30-80% Overhead Fraps or x264 can incur.
Recommend for anyone that has issues with FRAPS or x264.

There are soo many different ways to configure screen recording, editing and uploading these days.
Me and a many others discuss these methods in great detail at https://encodingtalk.com/

A great read for anyone interested in recording their game play.

Thanks man. Very useful.
MAKE CNR GREAT AGAIN
-
-
With your back against, the wall!
lighters
Sergeant
Personal Saying: Rapist

Post by lighters »

That coded you gave here doesn't work. I installed it and copied it like everything you said, nothing appeared on my codec list. Installed the one which billman gave - it at least shows up! :P
<workleashed>: Who licked a Skeeter last night? Can donkeys sing? Will the sun consume the Great Pyramid? These most important questions will be answered on our saturday's 3:47am show. LishdTV, stuff that matters.
Ray
Captain

Post by Ray »

Thanks much, bro. Otherwise will be impossible to upload some vids with current upload speed!

+1 rep
Snitt
Commissioner
Personal Saying: Snitt #1

Post by Snitt »

Just as an FYI, I now hate this guide. I got better internet and realized how horrible the quality is.
I'll keep this up anyways since it serves a purpose for being really good for recording very large amounts of gameplay and can have a large performance boosts for lower spec PC's.
Sasuke_Uchiha
Commissioner
Personal Saying: Avenger.

Post by Sasuke_Uchiha »

edit fixed first error but it crashes my game as i press f12 to record even tried changing the key
billman87
Commissioner

Post by billman87 »

Stifmeister wrote:I'm having the same problem as A5H I guess. I have most of my vids recorded with DXtory and now that's the time I have to edit them , this happends. Can you Snitt or anyone else help me with this ? I need it so much

*DxTory videos*
The problem is in the video preview. I dont know what that is. It's not the Best(Auto) problem cause I was experimenting with somethings.

When I try to edit , the whole screen freezes

*Fraps videos*
It looks to me like your missing a "Keyframe" (Base frame other are created from).
To resolve this problem use the most basic compression and highest bitrate possible when creating "source" footage.
For MP4 Source footage I suggest no less than 50 Mbit/sec approx half to a third the rate FRAPS uses.

When editing heavily compressed fottage you need ALLOT! more CPU grunt such as I5 or 6 Core AMD.
When editing uncompressed footage you need FAST! HDDs, preferably a RAID 0 of 2 or more drives.

Using a Low Compressed MP4 format is the middle ground, Core 2 Quad or up will handle this well.

Good Luck
DEADORALIVE
Foot Patrol

Post by DEADORALIVE »

it helps me :D
Stifmeister
Sergeant

Post by Stifmeister »

billman87 wrote: It looks to me like your missing a "Keyframe" (Base frame other are created from).
To resolve this problem use the most basic compression and highest bitrate possible when creating "source" footage.
For MP4 Source footage I suggest no less than 50 Mbit/sec approx half to a third the rate FRAPS uses.

When editing heavily compressed fottage you need ALLOT! more CPU grunt such as I5 or 6 Core AMD.
When editing uncompressed footage you need FAST! HDDs, preferably a RAID 0 of 2 or more drives.

Using a Low Compressed MP4 format is the middle ground, Core 2 Quad or up will handle this well.

Good Luck
Even tho it's a late answer, thank you for your time, honestly. I solved it by in some way changing the files format using HandBrake, since I had so many videos and couldn't change the settings and do new ones. Thank you anyway <3