[Guide] How to record gameplay with very low file sizes.

CrazyBob's Cops And Robbers game information, help, faqs and guides. If you need help with something in game, this is the place!
banana_ghost
Commissioner

Re: [Guide] How to record gameplay with very low file sizes.

Post by banana_ghost »

Nice guide Snitt! Thanks!
A5H
Captain
Personal Saying: I'm Pro when Noob.

Post by A5H »

The output videos is fine but when I edited it on SONY Vegas, it was too much pixels and broken. Can you share your settings of SONY Vegas for editing?
Joined CnR - August 29, 2013 | Regular Player Since - October 2013 | Joined BBM Since - October 11, 2013 | Donating Player Since - July 2, 2014
duki
Commissioner
Personal Saying: God forgives, I don't.

Post by duki »

A5H wrote:The output videos is fine but when I edited it on SONY Vegas, it was too much pixels and broken. Can you share your settings of SONY Vegas for editing?
http://forums.crazybobs.net/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=6023
;)
.:Hate:.
Captain
Personal Saying: I have the largest Haters club.

Post by .:Hate:. »

I run the game at 1440 x 900 and when I use the 1280 x 720 portions of the game (top and bottom) get cut partially, is there a work around for this.
Image Image
Snitt
Commissioner
Personal Saying: Snitt #1

Post by Snitt »

.:Hate:. wrote:I run the game at 1440 x 900 and when I use the 1280 x 720 portions of the game (top and bottom) get cut partially, is there a work around for this.
Are you sure it isn't an issue with your editing software/settings for editing?
Realistically, when you run the game at 1440 x 900, you may as well just record at that resolution too (Change the scaling to 100% or 1440 x 990). It's really not far off 1280 x 720 anyway so the file sizes aren't likely to get a lot bigger at all. Also, the quality should be quite a lot nicer since you won't be scaling down at all. Besides that, when you render your video, you could always just render in 1280 x 720. Pretty much going to have the exact same effect as if you had scaled down using DXTory except your file sizes will be a slight bit bigger.

TL;DR - Just set scaling to 100%. If it doesn't work, it could be your editing software.
.:Hate:.
Captain
Personal Saying: I have the largest Haters club.

Post by .:Hate:. »

Snitt wrote:
.:Hate:. wrote:I run the game at 1440 x 900 and when I use the 1280 x 720 portions of the game (top and bottom) get cut partially, is there a work around for this.
Are you sure it isn't an issue with your editing software/settings for editing?
Realistically, when you run the game at 1440 x 900, you may as well just record at that resolution too (Change the scaling to 100% or 1440 x 990). It's really not far off 1280 x 720 anyway so the file sizes aren't likely to get a lot bigger at all. Also, the quality should be quite a lot nicer since you won't be scaling down at all. Besides that, when you render your video, you could always just render in 1280 x 720. Pretty much going to have the exact same effect as if you had scaled down using DXTory except your file sizes will be a slight bit bigger.

TL;DR - Just set scaling to 100%. If it doesn't work, it could be your editing software.
Speaking of editing software, I use sony vegas pro 13 and I cannot get the video file to work. says there is an issue with the codec. Let me know if you know a way to fix this until then I will just continue to use bulky old fraps.
Image Image
TR3
Commissioner
Personal Saying: Crazy Insane or Insane Crazy?

Post by TR3 »

wut there is sony vegas 13 out yet?

I downloaded 12 one month ago :roll:
Kopi
Captain

Post by Kopi »

^ lol i still use sony vegas 9
Here sometimes.
billman87
Commissioner

Post by billman87 »

Nice Guide, this works for some however I have played with Dxtory and dislike the output to x264 as output for a few reasons. Most already mentioned.

Output to MP4 format is only effective if you have substantial CPU/RAM resources available and don't wish to extensively edit the recorded footage.

I don't suggest compressing on the fly, It works but the results can be less than desirable.
Investing in a dedicated 1-2 TB (WD BLACK) drive is the most effective way to ensure seamless recording.

Now to the Technical stuff, you can use the Lagarith Codec in DxTory for result very similar to fraps with improved performance.
Download from http://lags.leetcode.net/codec.html
This is a System Codec that DxTory can use to encode with.

The file size is a little bit smaller than fraps but the performance difference is remarkable.
I see 4-10% CPU overhead compared to 30-80% Overhead Fraps or x264 can incur.
Recommend for anyone that has issues with FRAPS or x264.

There are soo many different ways to configure screen recording, editing and uploading these days.
Me and a many others discuss these methods in great detail at https://encodingtalk.com/

A great read for anyone interested in recording their game play.
A5H
Captain
Personal Saying: I'm Pro when Noob.

Post by A5H »

duki wrote:
A5H wrote:The output videos is fine but when I edited it on SONY Vegas, it was too much pixels and broken. Can you share your settings of SONY Vegas for editing?
http://forums.crazybobs.net/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=6023
;)
I'm actually used this settings for Motion JPEG codec, but my SONY Vegas became lag when I use x264 as my codec in Bandicam.
Joined CnR - August 29, 2013 | Regular Player Since - October 2013 | Joined BBM Since - October 11, 2013 | Donating Player Since - July 2, 2014