[Guide] How to record gameplay with very low file sizes.

CrazyBob's Cops And Robbers game information, help, faqs and guides. If you need help with something in game, this is the place!
Snitt
Commissioner
Personal Saying: Snitt #1

Re: [Guide] How to record gameplay with very low file sizes.

Post by Snitt »

mAsteRw0w! wrote:I play SA-MP On that resolution too, i put 1280x720 on both settings, first time the the screen was cropped or smth
Well if you play at 1280x720 then don't do anything there. Just type 0 in the boxes and click on "percent" and click 100%. Only use the scaling if you play on a resolution above 1280x720.
masterw0w!
Commissioner
Personal Saying: Nothing.

Post by masterw0w! »

Yep, but the problem is the fps
Cool_Gamer
Captain
Personal Saying: There and back again.

Post by Cool_Gamer »

Or you could just use any video converter and convert it to suitable codec.
JackC21911
Commissioner

Post by JackC21911 »

If I play on 1024x768 (SA-MP) resolution, what do I put in the DxTory settings? Would I just put in 100% scaling?
R.I.P
Snitt
Commissioner

Post by Snitt »

Cool_Gamer wrote:Or you could just use any video converter and convert it to suitable codec.
Would certainly work. But video converters are a pain to use especially if you're converting a massive file that lasted 1 hour but you only want the last 30 seconds for a montage. It will take a long time of high CPU usage to convert the entire clip. Also, you would still be recording large file sizes so you may still have performance issues with Hard Disk write speeds and you're still making huge files which isn't good for most people... Also you are supposed to be rendering your video anyway which will compress it down a huge huge amount so converting it isn't even necessary.
JackC21911 wrote:If I play on 1024x768 (SA-MP) resolution, what do I put in the DxTory settings? Would I just put in 100% scaling?
Yeah, use 100% scaling anything below 1280x720. The only reason I use scaling is because anything above 720p is kind of overkill and if you jump up to 1080p, the file sizes will be much bigger but the quality won't be THAT much better and besides, most people won't watch at 1080p.
Cool_Gamer
Captain
Personal Saying: There and back again.

Post by Cool_Gamer »

Snitt wrote:
Cool_Gamer wrote:Or you could just use any video converter and convert it to suitable codec.
Would certainly work. But video converters are a pain to use especially if you're converting a massive file that lasted 1 hour but you only want the last 30 seconds for a montage. It will take a long time of high CPU usage to convert the entire clip. Also, you would still be recording large file sizes so you may still have performance issues with Hard Disk write speeds and you're still making huge files which isn't good for most people... Also you are supposed to be rendering your video anyway which will compress it down a huge huge amount so converting it isn't even necessary.
Your method is good if you're recording the whole gameplay. Mine is better for short clips.
Snitt
Commissioner

Post by Snitt »

Cool_Gamer wrote:
Snitt wrote:
Your method is good if you're recording the whole gameplay. Mine is better for short clips.
Well not really since you are supposed to render your videos. Using a converter is just an additional step that doesn't need to be taken.
You are talking about:
Record large file size video > Convert to another filetype > Edit + Render the video > Done
But if you just:
Record large file size video > Edit + render the video > done
Then you will have the exact same results as the first one. In fact, you will probably get better quality by NOT using a converter because you are likely to lose some quality during both converting and rendering.
Also, this guide is specifically about recording long lengths of time and not short clips.
Poetic_Justice
Commissioner
Personal Saying: hi

Post by Poetic_Justice »

Is Bandicam kinda the same as Dxtory?
Fight with blood, fight with steel, die with honor, never yield. Faith and Duty. Courage and Honor.
Gommly
Commissioner

Post by Gommly »

Thanks Thanks Thanks !
SexyBeaver wrote:Steven_McGommels/10
Warl0rd wrote:LAYS AND STEVEN_MCGOMMELS BEST INDONESIAN PLAYERS!
Snitt
Commissioner

Post by Snitt »

PoeticJustice wrote:Is Bandicam kinda the same as Dxtory?
You'll have to be a little more specific than that...