[Guide] How to record gameplay with very low file sizes.

CrazyBob's Cops And Robbers game information, help, faqs and guides. If you need help with something in game, this is the place!
Snitt
Commissioner
Personal Saying: Snitt #1

[Guide] How to record gameplay with very low file sizes.

Post by Snitt »

Video:
[youtube][/youtube]
Written guide:

SKIP TO VIDEO SETTINGS IF YOU JUST WANT THE BAREBONES. The only thing you need to know before scrolling to that point is that we are using a program called "DXTory" but a lot of this is still applicable to other recording programs out there. I would suggest just getting DXTory to make this easy and because it's one of the best.

Reasons
This is not just a guide on how to record CnR footage. This is a guide on how to do this and specifically keep the file sizes small so you can record for long amounts at a time without filling your HDD up.
I record every second of gameplay in most games as well as CnR. 99% of the footage is deleted after recording. The 1% is there mostly for epic moments but in CnR specifically is used for proof in complaints etc. People have asked me how I can record hours of gameplay at a time. Software like Fraps records huge file sizes and people don't have the choice to record all the time so I put this guide together specifically targeting small file sizes.
If you are having issues with people breaking the rules, the complaints section is there for a reason. F8ing a few screens showing some very vague proof is really not that great. It helps A LOT to have solid proof but a lot of people don't even consider using video recorders because the file sizes are so large and their PC can't handle it.
Using DXTory with these settings and this video codec, 1 hour of CnR recording is around 4GB in file size which is pretty decent.

Performance
One of the biggest reasons for slow performance whilst recording video is a slow/overworked hard drive. Fraps especially has this problem. You can have a really fast CPU, a really fast GPU but if you have a slow Hard Disk then you may still see some lag. Most people will be recording to the same Disk that they are running their OS and game from. It's best to have a dedicated drive but having much smaller file sizes can speed things up for some people. This will not fix everybody's problems with video recording software as a slow/overworked HDD may NOT be the source of the problem but it still helps for some people.

Management
I am not suggesting that you archive all of your videos and never delete them. The way I personally do things is to have the program start up every time I turn my PC on then when I'm in game, I just press the hotkey to begin recording. When something happens in game that I know I want to keep, I stop the recording right after it happens then I start recording literally like 1 second after. This way, when I come to put the video together I know that I don't have to look though 60 mins of footage to find the part I want because I know that the good part will be within the last 60 seconds of the entire video. At the end of playing the game, I simply open my video output folder and delete any files that I don't need. That way I don't clutter my Hard Disk with videos. This way, if I happen to forget to clean up after I'm done playing, I can simply look at the last 60 seconds and if it's something interesting I know that I intended to keep it but if it's just me quitting CnR or something, I know it should be deleted.

DXTory
The main reason behind this video is because of the video codec and it's settings. There are many video recording programs out there that allow you to pick a specific codec and add your own and I'm sure you can find a guide on how to add this codec for whatever recording program you like to use.
However, DXTory is a really REALLY good program. It has everything Fraps has to offer and more. It has some really great features like multiple audio outputs so you can edit the audio separately. Just google a full list of features if you're considering switching. I have been recording videos for quite a long time and tried most major video recording programs out there and DXTory is one of the best.

Video settings
- In the video settings, your frame rate should be locked to 30FPS. YouTube only supports 30fps and if you upload anything bigger than 30fps it will simply limit you back down to 30 so using anything more than 30 is a waste of time.
- AVI is the preferred file type.
- If you are recording at anything less than 1280x720 (720p) then you should leave the scaling alone (Just click percent 100%). However, if you are recording a game running HIGHER than 720p (1080p being most popular) then you should scale it down to size - 1280x720. The reason for this is that 720p and 1080p have drastically different file sizes but not drastically different quality. Hardly anybody watches Youtube videos on 1080p and it's just not worth it. Setting the scaling to 1280x720 will make your video be scaled down from 1080p to 720p.
- Select the x264vfw codec and pick the same settings (See below how to install and what settings)
My video settings:

x264 Video Codec
A video codec is a way of compressing video down. The codec you use will compress the file in a different way to other codecs. Some codecs give very small file sizes but a large loss in quality. Some codecs will keep almost perfect quality but have HUGE file sizes. The x264 codec creates remarkably small file sizes whilst still keeping some fairly high quality. In my opinion it is the best "value" when it comes to balancing low file sizes with high video quality.

Codec installation
(Everything is free and it is an open source version of the H264 codec. This is not warez/piracy.)
First, close DXTory.
EDIT: If you have a 64 bit machine and the 64 bit version doesn't show up in the list, try installing the 32 bit version.
Source website: http://komisar.gin.by/
64 bit - http://komisar.gin.by/old/2273/x264vfw. ... x86_64.exe
32 bit - http://komisar.gin.by/old/2273/x264vfw.2273kMod.x86.exe
Download the version that corresponds to your operating system and run the executable.
Then open your C drive>Program files> And there should be a folder here called "x264vfw64" open that folder.
Now copy x264vfw64.dll and open your DXTory directory C:\Program Files (x86)\Dxtory Software\Dxtory2.0
And paste the .dll file in this directory (not in the "tool" folder)
Now re-open DXTory and open the video settings tab and there should be a new video codec at the bottom called x264vfw.
Select it and click the little pen icon next to it and change the settings to how I have my settings (Screenshots below)
One important setting you should change is in the bottom right of the "Main" tab in the video codec settings menu. In the bottom right it says "VFW" and then "FourCC" and the default is "H264" and you should change this to x264 (lower case x).
The reason for this is because a lot of video editing programs (Sony vegas included) won't recognize the file in H264 and you will be forced to convert your video file to edit it.

My settings:

The settings aren't 100% set in stone so you can tweak things or search for other video settings. These are just the settings that I personally use.
Last edited by Snitt on Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:58 pm, edited 4 times in total.
JackC21911
Commissioner

Re: [Guide] How to record CnR gameplay with very low file si

Post by JackC21911 »

Hmm, I've never really tried using DxTory. I will definitely try this. Thanks Snitt.
R.I.P
TR3
Commissioner
Personal Saying: Crazy Insane or Insane Crazy?

Post by TR3 »

Thanks!
masterw0w!
Commissioner
Personal Saying: Nothing.

Post by masterw0w! »

Thanks Snittman
Snitt
Commissioner

Post by Snitt »

JackC21911 wrote:Hmm, I've never really tried using DxTory. I will definitely try this. Thanks Snitt.
Even if you don't follow this guide exactly and do exactly what I talk about, I still strongly suggest DXTory. There is nothing fraps can do that DXTory can't other than one very small feature (Monitor Aero desktop DWM) and there are much better ways to do this than by using fraps.
DXTory has some awesome features. You should look up the features list if you need convincing :^). Or just watch some "Fraps vs DXTory" videos.
masterw0w!
Commissioner

Re: [Guide] How to record gameplay with very low file sizes.

Post by masterw0w! »

When i record i have fps drops and the video is 3 instead 30 fps (yea ik i typed 30 in the menu)
Snitt
Commissioner

Post by Snitt »

mAsteRw0w! wrote:When i record i have fps drops and the video is 3 instead 30 fps (yea ik i typed 30 in the menu)
Is it locked at exactly 3 or does it vary?
Have you ever used other recording software and if so, how did it run?
masterw0w!
Commissioner

Post by masterw0w! »

Yeah, i used fraps, i never had any problem the only problem is just the size :c
Snitt
Commissioner

Post by Snitt »

mAsteRw0w! wrote:Yeah, i used fraps, i never had any problem the only problem is just the size :c
Make sure every single video setting and codec setting are identical to the ones in my screenshots (scroll up).
Also, if you click the yellow icon in the bottom left corner make sure the frame rate is set to 30 in that window (After you click the yellow icon) and that the resolution is width: 1280 height: 720.
masterw0w!
Commissioner

Post by masterw0w! »

I play SA-MP On that resolution too, i put 1280x720 on both settings, first time the the screen was cropped or smth