It is currently Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:30 pm

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 [GUIDE] How to make a valid forum complaint 
Commissioner

[GUIDE] How to make a valid forum complaint
Have you ever experienced "not enough, dismissed"? Someone was annoying, rule-breaking or maybe even cheating but you didn't know how to gather proof? Ever thought "did I catch a cheater?" or "is it worth complaining, I'm not sure if my material is good enough"? There's no need to worry anymore, because now you're looking at

How to make a valid forum complaint guide by Evangelist

and those questions won't be a dilemma anymore.

Since I've seen some simple complaints getting dismissed, I came across the idea of making something like this. Alright, let's start! In this guide I will try to help you in making a valid forum complaint. I've been thinking a bit, and decided to split this guide into few parts:
    0. Introduction, most common types of complaints
    1. Getting started
    2. Gathering proof
    3. Checking proof(s) & making/preparing complaint material
    4. Making a forum topic/complaint

0. Introduction, most common types of complaints
To start off, the first question is: why complain? The answer is simple, we all want a better community. And that's where you jump in, your contribution are your complaints! It may take some of your time, but it also cleans up the mess, at least partially. Okay, let's go to the main thing (finally huh).
In order to make a valid forum complaint, we need a few things:
  • clean GTA SA and SA-MP installation,
  • basic SA-MP knowledge,
  • some time,
  • recording and editing software (optional, but the best way)
The next question is: what can you complain for? The best answer would be two pictures I'll show below. As we all know 1 picture = 1000 words, right? One of those pictures you see every day when you join the servers, and other one is something you're all aware of (I hope). Here they are:

Pic 1: Joining screen

Pic 2: Server rules (type /rules in game)

These are (some of) the things we can complain for: cheating, bug abusing, modding, in short - rule breaking!

For better understanding, I will separate complaints by types. Of course there are many of them, but to keep this simple and clean, I will mention only most common ones. We will differ complaints about:
  • (*) cheating
  • (*) DeathMatching (DM)
  • random hit
  • (*) bug abusing

Note: (*) means it's recommended to have recording software for that type of complaint

1. Getting started
For a decent complaint I strongly recommend enabling a few things upon joining the servers.
  • /timestamp
  • /DL
  • recording software

You may ask yourself what do those things do and what do we need all those things for?

1.1) /timestamp = it shows you real life time in game. It helps you in knowing when have you joined the servers and when exactly every single event happened, calculated to real life time. And while making a complaint, knowing when certain event happened in real-life-time-domain is sometimes more relevant than in-game time. As for complaining, /timestamp helps you detect fake-chatting which is also material/reason for a complaint. Make sure you have /timestamp ENABLED.

Pic 3: /timestamp disabled

Pic 4: /timestamp enabled

1.2) /DL = stands for debug labels. In matters of making a complaint, we'll mostly use "Health" label and that's all you need to know.

Pic 5: /DL disabled

Pic 6: /DL enabled

1.3) recodring software = this is definitely the best way of being prepared to make a complaint. This is an optional thing, but it's better if you have one of those. Some of the most popular recording softwares are:

Usually recording softwares show you some kind of an fps counter, which can be seen in pictures below.

After enabling things mentioned above, your screen should look similar to this:

Pic 7: Screen ready for making valid complaints:
1 = recording software (Fraps) fps overlay
2 = chat with /timestamp enabled
3 = /DL enabled

Now we're ready for step 2...

2. Gathering proof
This is usually the most complicated part. To keep this simple, I'll just jump to the part on how to recognize and bust rule breakers.

2.1 Cheating
First of all have one thing in mind: cheats mess up with one's directory quite a lot. Therefore, in most of cases cheats (and mods in general) bring more trouble than good. So if you're really really sure someone is cheating but you haven't caught him/her yet, don't worry, (s)he will catch her/himself sooner or later when cheats refuse to listen. ;)
Second, but not less important: cheating does not include only insane things you've seen in single player such as flying cars or shooting with no reload. It includes many other things. For simplicity's sake I'll name only most common ones & give you a hint or two on how to deal with those situations.

2.1.1. Damage mods
Long story short, it's when someone doesn't take normal damage. It includes both "big damage" and "small damage". Much more frequent case is when people take "small damage", or said in more simple way: when people take less damage than they should. The only question is, how to detect those?
The easiest way to detect them is when damage mods users are in a car. This is where /dl jumps in and helps you a lot.
Regarding that particular method, I made 2 short videos about damage mods (click the YouTube link for better quality and 60fps):

https://youtu.be/y7c_G8pJdzM?list=PL8xD ... wwAiV7pXAr
Video 1: Normal weapon damages (weapon "fix" included)
=> conclusion: weapon "fix" reduced weapon damage to 40% (e.g. sniper usually dealt 125HP/bullet, nowadays it deals 50HP/bullet to aircrafts)

https://youtu.be/monNhJCZnDE?list=PL8xD ... wwAiV7pXAr
Video 2: Busting a cheater in game (example)

The other method is having a lot of experience and/or shoot them with colt45s. Damage mods are still bugged for that weapon and cheaters will lose HP as if you're shooting them with sawnoffs without reloading.
For more info on normal weapon damages you can check this site. Have in mind this server uses maxed out (hitman) skill of weapons, which means deagle deals 140 HP damage (not 70 as it's also mentioned on that website). Those 140 HP of damage (and all the mentioned damages in general) are relevant when you hit the vehicle. So don't get confused, deagle deals 140 HP damage to (land) vehicles only, not to a player who's on foot. As for damage dealt to aircrafts, I have that included in my first video as well.
A side fact: hitman level of weapons is the reason we hold 2 uzis and 2 sawnoffs. :)

2.1.2 Aimbot
Pretty self explanatory: it's the situation where one has close-to-100% accuracy, which is not possible of course. Also it's most likely they will use mostly uzi/tec if not ONLY uzi/tec. Second most used weapon is desert eagle, because it registers pretty well.
Example can be found here.
Additional note: you may help yourself by using /sit 8 anim. There are 2 possibilities:
1) aimbotter won't be able to hit you at all
2) it will take some time until aimbotter locks his aim back on you

2.1.3 Cheating in general
Also self-explanatory. If someone drives hotdog van 150mph, or doesn't lose HP at all, or flies around with a car, you know they're cheating. I don't think this needs an example.

2.2 DeathMatching (DM)
The best reference:Eric[HUN]'s topic on how to make a proper DM/randomhit complaint.
In a nutshell, DM is every type of killing without a legitimate reason, that's the definition. Every DM is random by definition, so avoid using phrases such as "rdm".
The best thing to make a valid complaint regarding this is to record your gameplay session from a few minutes BEFORE actual DM act occured. If you're not able to do that, well... sorry but you have to understand it's hard to determine what happened before the actual kill that happened on you. Either way, you may complain, but in that case your complaint MUST include the your /Crimes (to prove you didn't do anything to that player, at least not by script). Also, stats of a player you're complaining as well as his crimes are welcome.

2.3 Random hit
Again, the best reference: Eric[HUN]'s topic on how to make a proper DM/randomhit complaint.
It's recommended to record your gameplay, but it's understandable if you can't or don't want to. If that's the case, you can make a quality complaint with screenshots. Just make sure you include your /crimes as well as other player's /crimes and /stats.
Do not make random hit complaints if you just went out of jail (because your crimes list gets cleared upon exiting the jail), unless you just joined the server or have solid proof you didn't do anything to the other player before you ended up in jail.
Also, it's worth pointing one thing out: NEW GAME WEEK = NEW BEGINNING for everyone. That means no one is allowed to place a hit on you on the next game week for something that happened between you and him in the previous game week. So if you get a hit contract on 00:10 Sunday, it's a random one.

2.4 Quitting to avoid (*anything*)
Quitting to avoid (*anything*) is not allowed under any circumstances. That includes quitting to avoid hit death, arrest, admin punishment etc. As always, it'd be the best if you could record. That way you'll most likely succeed in making a valid complaint because quits to avoid usually occur right in front of your nose.
One of most common complaints is quitting to avoid hit death. If you placed a hit contract on someone and they quit on hitmen, you'll receive a message which will say your cash is returned, but 25% of it was lost on "hitman bonus" (Pic 8). In that case, screenshot is most likely enough, especially if it happens more than once.
As always, be sure to include player's /stats, if possible.

Pic 8: example of a quitting-on-a-hitman message

Pic 9: an example of /crimes list

Pic 10: an example of /stats

2.5 Bug abusing
You get to detect this by experience + I don't feel like explaining bugs here, it's not needed and there are many of them. Play more, be fair, observe things and you'll be able to distinguish fair play from bug abusing.

3. Checking proof(s) & making/preparing complaint material
3.0 Check your footage and/or screenshots to be sure you have decent complaint material. In most of cases you can skip this step since weird situations mostly are the reason you started recording/gathering proof in the first place.

3.1 Videos:
For making/preparing video material I suggest Sony Vegas (more info here). It's relatively simple and easy to use. As a reference, I suggest taking a look at Sony Vegas tutorial by Ray0. Moreover, I'd like to point out a few Sony Vegas features which I think are quite useful: zoom in/out, speed up/slow down, adding a text (description). On another note, you can find some decent tutorials on how to use those features on YouTube. I'll list a few videos here:

Regarding editing and applying some basic Sony Vegas features, I've made two videos:

https://youtu.be/XyV0c_kyRHo?list=PL8xD ... wwAiV7pXAr
Video 3: Applying basic Sony Vegas features on a complaint video
(Video shows how effects mentioned above help in making a valid complaint)

https://youtu.be/4ehAB_yktHE?list=PL8xD ... wwAiV7pXAr
Video 4: Applying basic Sony Vegas features on a complaint video (editing)
(Video guides you through making a simple complaint)

When you're done with editing, you have to render your video and upload it to some video-hosting website (e.g. YouTube). You can find something about rendering in Ray0's guide, but you can also watch tutorials on YouTube (for example this). About the uploading part, you can take a look at this tutorial, if you're not sure how to do it properly.

3.2 Screenshots:
Check your screenshots to make sure they're worth complaining. Note how I've said screenshotS, in plural. Have in mind one screenshot is almost never enough to make a valid complaint! Okay, let's continue...
If you play on higher resolution, resize your screenshots so they do not cross 1200x800 because otherwise you won't be able to post them in [img] tags. Additional good thing in resizing is that you lower the file size, making it easier & faster for you to upload and for people reading your complaint to load the picture. The next thing you have to do is show your screenshots/proof. That you'll do by uploading them. Regarding uploading part, you need to choose some picture-hosting website. To keep this simple, I suggest you choosing imgur and taking a look at everything.'s guide about basic screenshots uploading and posting.

4. Making a forum topic/complaint
If you're registered & activated, you can access CnR Player Complaints section. This is the place where you post your complaints!
Press New Topic:
Pic 11: Press New Topic

After that this screen appears:
Pic 12: Writing a complaint

In subject, you write complaint title. It'd be good if it would include name of the player(s) you're complaining, because this way things are more systematic. If you're complaining more players at once, be sure to include their names in message body. Once you've typed in the title, you can jump to the message body. Here you include all the proof you have (link(s), video(s), screenshots, optional background story etc). As for videos, you can include them the way so they're playable directly from the forums. If you want to do that, check this topic, otherwise, just copy the URL from YouTube and paste it in message body. You noticed I said "optional story"... It's not actually needed, but sometimes it may redirect admins' attention to the thing you want.
Once you're done with typing in all the necessary things, you can click Submit and you're done, you've made a valid forum complaint!

At the end, here you can find an example of a simple and valid forum complaint.

|| I'd like to thank Oin, everything., Brodie and tetriZ. for helping me test weapon damages. Also I'd like to thank people who were not involved in making this guide directly, but helped with their tutorials which I linked in this topic: thanks to Eric[HUN], everything. and Ray0 for making their respective tutorials/guides on other matters which were useful in my guide as well.

If you have any questions, suggestions, feedback or anything, feel free to post here or PM me.

I hope this will help (or already helped) you in making a valid forum complaint. Happy hunting!

|| UPDATE LOG:
- 10th May 2017: redesigned, added 4th guide video, updated information about recording softwares

Last edited by Evangelist on Wed May 10, 2017 5:34 pm, edited 19 times in total.

Sun May 08, 2016 10:23 am
Commissioner

Post Re: [GUIDE]How to make a valid forum complaint
- reserved for additional information, examples & questions -

Sun May 08, 2016 10:24 am
Commissioner

Personal Text: I just like using my brains.
Well done Evangelist, that would be extremely useful especially with the weapon damages. However, on-foot-players weapon damages are not mentioned. If you still have time/interested in making a video/adding it to this guide, I can help you as well. Moreover, if you decide to do so you/we can use the online player map which can be beneficial in detecting how mush damage the player lost as it shows the health and the armor percentage. Or else you/we can basically use the player health bar which can be a little bit more harder. Anyhow, good job on making this.

Sun May 08, 2016 11:45 am
Profile WWW
Commissioner

Personal Text: ♫♫♫♫♫♫
thx
good job.

Last edited by CrazyCarl on Sun Jun 05, 2016 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed May 18, 2016 7:11 am
Profile WWW
Commissioner

CrazyCarl wrote:
hello evangelist im lagging in recording softwares

Hello, it's most likely your PC which is not strong enough to perform such task. Try not to use Fraps since it's quite tough software in matters of resources it takes. Try to use Bandicam or action to record. Output files won't be as big as the ones Fraps create, but your quality may suffer a little bit. Also, try to play on lower resolution and set your draw distance to low value. Lowering your fps (to 20-25) may help as well.
But what matters is... as long as people can see what's happening in your screen (in 20 or more fps), you'll be fine in making a complaint. If you're not able to record even at low resolution, draw distance and fps, than I'm sorry, but your PC is a limitation to you.

Thu May 19, 2016 11:19 am
CnR Admin

Good job with the thread, and good detail to everything about making a good complaint. I've stickied this topic and copied your thread to the new members section as I think alot of new members will find this usefull (and might not check this section)

<Cloudizme> and im going
<Cloudizme> boy this game sure is fun

Thu May 19, 2016 12:06 pm
Lieutenant

eLyeS wrote:
Well done Evangelist, that would be extremely useful especially with the weapon damages. However, on-foot-players weapon damages are not mentioned. If you still have time/interested in making a video/adding it to this guide, I can help you as well. Moreover, if you decide to do so you/we can use the online player map which can be beneficial in detecting how mush damage the player lost as it shows the health and the armor percentage. Or else you/we can basically use the player health bar which can be a little bit more harder. Anyhow, good job on making this.

you do know that not everyone has a setup like billman. 90percent player just play with a single pc also nobody's gonna look at the player map whike fighting.

Thu May 19, 2016 1:40 pm
Commissioner

Personal Text: Joined forums (Play2Hard): Aug 27th-2010, 7:04 pm.
Good job fella, like the structure & info! :)

Other guides: pastebin.com/LPYyyXKU

Thu May 19, 2016 2:52 pm
Profile WWW
CnR Admin

Personal Text: Just that guy.
That's some nice piece of art right there, good job Evang!

<@Matt888> "I've made a series of mistakes" ~Jayince, 2014

Thu May 19, 2016 4:21 pm
Commissioner

Thanks for making this guide Evangelist, good job ;)

Fri May 20, 2016 8:33 am
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next