Recruit

[Guide] Complete trucking guide by Urik

Table of content:

0. Introduction

1. Basic information

2. Additional information
    - Preparations suggested
    - Truck choice
    - Trailer or no trailer. That is the question.
3. Three days of testing

4. Testing - continuation

5. Tips n tricks

6. Summary

7. Final word

0. Introduction

Welcome to the trucking guide.
I hope that you will find following wall of text useful regardless of your current experience with trucking. Yes, I have seen all of you making mistakes and I am here to help you out.
If you want to share this guide with others you can use this short link http://bit.ly/20LyJQ3 .
This guide is free to share anywhere in any shape or form without my permission as long as you mention the author (me: Urik) and link to this thread on crazybobs.net.
English is not my mothers tongue, upfront apologies for any and all mistakes I may commit. Please inform me about them via pm and I will fix them.
If you have any suggestions please feel free to write them down below or message me directly ingame @urikkk. I am open to any constructive critique as long as it is courteous.
Without further ado lets get started.

1. Basic information

Trucking missions might be the best way to earn money especially for newcomers since it requires close to zero money to get started. Those missions require you to deliver goods from one place to another in 12 ingame hours (12 minutes) using one vehicle. All you have to do to get started is to get into a van or an industrial truck like Roadtrain and you are good to go.

On the left side: Roadrunner with beautifully presented frontal bullbar. On the right: disguising trailer that we will never be using.

When you get into the vehicle all you have to do is press 2 or type /delivery to start a delivery mission. Then it is just a matter of following gps arrows.

Test subject on his way to pickup checkpoint.

As of now it is not required for you to be in a haste since first you need to pick up goods from checkpoint. You can close delivery information using the left mouse button or N to have a better view of the road. If needed you can reopen it by pressing 2.

Approaching pickup checkpoint. One small push of a gas pedal for a man. One big step for Noobies of San Andreas.

As soon as you drive onto pickup checkpoint the mission will start. You can see that on the bottom right corner that the timer started to countdown, which is an important factor affecting your payment for completed mission. You can also see the general direction the the final checkpoint as well as distance - both provided by your gps.

Now the wish of the whole server - to get out of the poverty; is in his very hands. Can he endure? Can he succeed? Hundreds of lives and thousands of dreams are at stake.
Can he really make it against all odds?

Remember that your mission will be cancelled when your vehicle is destroyed. Keep that in mind when deciding if you should take any risky shortcuts.

Still driving, although he can hear the noise of approaching police sirens violently piercing through the sweet melody of diesel engine herding more and more mechanical horses under the bonnet of his shiny truck.
Nervous look at the map. "It is all in my hands now" he murmurs to himself tightening his hands on the steering wheel and driving his vehicle bravely off the cliff to get to his destination few seconds earlier.
Will he succeed or doom us all?

When you approach the final checkpoint you get paid up to ~250k$. The amount of money that you earn is highly dependent on the time it took you to deliver goods and the distance from the pickup checkpoint.
You can start another delivery mission after 15 ingame minutes.

And thus his journey, followed by everyone with with bated breath, comes to an end. Man who showed us a way out of our misery.
Why we have not built a monument to remember this great moment? Oh yes.. we are all poor as church mouses..

Preparations suggested:

If you have earned some money already you might consider:
    - having around 20k$ so you can pay any tickets on your way, since sometimes you can get up to 3 wanted levels for “delivering illegal goods”
    - equipping yourself with body armor, which would help you greatly in case of DMers or Crazy Cops
    - buying health and life insurances, that would make your death less painful for your wallet
    - turning on "Simple trucking mode" in settings ( /settings -> (3) Game Settigns -> (16) Simple trucking mode), this way you will always receive 5k$ pickup bonus
    - if you are a bad truck driver - changing your skill to “mechanic” or equipping yourself with couple “vehicle repair kits” so you can drive same truck for longer without need to look for a new one after each mission.

Truck choice:

I would say there is no choice at all for trucking beginners: just go with Roadtrain. Let me quote:
Quote:
The truck's performance is impressive, possessing a relatively high top speed (especially in straightaways and downhill travel), as well as excellent torque for improved hill climbing and acceleration, and responsive steering and brakes. The vehicle's weight distribution, wide length and width makes the Roadtrain more stable than the Tanker or Linerunner, although high speed encounters with bumps may still flip the vehicle. The vehicle's heavy construction also makes the Roadtrain very durable.

It is a fast and safe truck. Go with it. If, however, you want to go faster, yet a bit riskier way - there is an option just for you. You can use Flatbed since it is a truck with top maximum speed, yet.. it is a bit unstable if you ask me and not worth using on.
Let me quote everything. on differences between Roadtrain and Flatbed:
everything. wrote:
Flatbed might be faster but it's not really ideal for close deliveries as it's acceleration and steering sucks… one has great better stability, but lacks in speed while the other is opposite.

Choice is in your hands. If you are just starting your trucking adventure: Roadtrain. If you are experienced enough or you just want to try something new - go on the back of Flatbed.

Trailer or no trailer.

As you are probably aware, when you drive Roadtrain or other semi-trailer with trailer attached, you get 15% more money for each delivery. Yet from my tests it is not worth it. With trailer attached you need to drive more carefully, especially on corners and bumps, so your trailer will not be separated from the truck. Turns as sharp as 90 degrees might require you to use reverse gear to keep within the road, you are as slow as potato rolling down the hill with almost zero acceleration. Do not drive with trailer.

3. Three days of testing

In order to test the amount of money that you can earn I have been trucking for 3 ingame days and collecting information about money earned. Spreadsheet with results can be accessed here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1NrpN3koJvyKCLzQtbXkbEGxIUXtFwxZOSsf94entvWQ/pubhtm . I leave this document for you to analyse if you want to do so. If you do not believe in presented information: please provide me your email address so I can send you 28 screenshots that I have made while collecting all the data 8-).
TL;DR: avg. earnings: ~366k$/day, total money earned: ~1.1kk$

4. Testing - continuation

Looking at comments in this thread it was clear for me that more testing was required. That is why recorded next 210 delivery missions I have completed.
Spreadsheet can be accessed here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1x13XhN5rrcXTKO0IE8VGXLsuaOl4JEpyyKmcSumrHe8/pubhtml. As for now deliveries are sorted by first column, descending.
Analysis:
    Less Goods and Services % on /market = more money from deliveries
    In each delivery 57% of payment is “item delivery”, 31% of payment is “time bonus” and 12% of payment is from pickup bonus.
    I drove Roadtrain with avg speed of 31.02 metres/second, another driver (more experienced than me) used Flatbed and had avg speed of 32.98 metres/second which is about 6% faster
    Most money from “item delivery” was earned by transporting President Obama -265625$, least: for transporting Fake Cake - 1$.
    Every 3% increase on Goods and Services (can be checked by typing /market) cause you to earn ~1% less money from item deliveries.
Thanks to everything. for his knowledge on trucking that helped me to conduct these tests properly.

5. Tips n tricks

1. Always drive on the right side of the road.
    2. Time is precious but do not rush. Do not take the risky shortcuts and do not try to extort other people on crossroads. Most of the time it is not worth the few dollars you will lose because of 5 seconds longer delivery.
    3. Do not exit your vehicle when it is not necessary. You are the safest inside.
    4. Use /dl to show your truck health. Truck will catch fire and explode after reaching 250 health or below. You can repair truck at mechanic at petrol station or you can repair your vehicle yourself (as a mechanic or using vehicle repair kit) by getting out of vehicle and typing /vehrepair.
    5. If you have any wanted stars stop your vehicle as soon as the police approaches you. You do not want them to damage or destroy your vehicle or its tires. If cops are destroying your truck stay inside – this way you will not be punished for your death (“unfair death” message will be presented and you will be informed that your current life is continued). Just make sure to /complain about them after the incident or even consider placing a /hit on them so that a hitman can take care of them.
    6. If a civilian is chasing you, driving towards you on your lane or there is any other potentially dangerous situation: slow down and by any means do not try to put yourself in a fight. Sometime it is better to avoid such events even if it means adding some more kilometres to your route. If civilian chasing you is orange – pray to your God and run away since he probably does not wish you well.
    7. When you want to deposit money avoid the bank in the city you are currently playing in – there is high chance that you get robbed or get your car destroyed due to some accident. Use other banks or ATMs instead if possible.
    8. Do give a ride to strangers even when they are in the middle of nowhere. In a matter of seconds you might become a man without transport in the middle of nowhere as well.
    9. Try to drive for a whole 24 ingame hours - this way you have greater chance of getting the ToaD title, and 20-70k$ bonus that goes with this. This title is granted at 23:30 ingame time.
    10. Make sure to have some music to listen to. On the road hopefully there will be just your hands on the steering wheel and your truck eating another miles of the road. If you want to roleplay a bit make sure to turn on the K-ROSE radio station or you can type /cnrrradio in order to listen to radio made by the people of the server.
    11. Minmax: try to make use of 15 seconds between missions doing something useful like depositing your money, repairing or reorienting your vehicle so that you will not need to turn it around as soon as another mission starts. :)

6. Summary

Pros:
    Great money/day
    Almost no money required
    As your driving experience grows, you will earn more than at the start
    Danger to your life, other than your driving skill, is close to zero
Cons:
    Boring (for some of you)
    You need to be focused on the road most of the time since there is almost no chance to rescue the vehicle after falling over.

Trucking is one of the best way to earn money and with avg. 7 deliveries a day you earn up to ~300k$. It is safe since only dangers are: crazy drivers, crazy cops and your driving skills. And you do not need to spend a dime to get started. Need any more encouragement? Good - turn K-ROSE on and drive 8-) .

7. Final word

I would like to thank everyone that helped me writing this guide including: me, myself and I. We all have my undying gratitude for all our work and dedication on this very guide. I thank me for testing data me provided and me's insight in trucking. Thanks to myself for proofreading, pictures myself provided and for putting together my words together into forum-digestible form with all those brackets. Also thank for I's idea to create this guide. I do appreciate my own cooperation. Thank us all guys and I wish ourselves all the best in the future.
-urik

Changelog:
2016-04-16 2000+ words counted.
2016-04-18 2200+ words counted. Added: simple trucking mode, emphasis on road safety, flatbed in truck choice, music tips.
2016-04-20 Ton of minor corrections throughout guide; 1st img reuploaded to another hosting server to improve loading time.
2016-04-23 Testing - continuation section was added, added info about truck choice.

Last edited by urik on Sat Apr 23, 2016 5:32 pm, edited 27 times in total.

Sat Apr 16, 2016 2:51 pm
CnR Admin

Post Re: [Guide] Complete trucking guide by Urik
Great guide, but a few things from a fellow trucker (~6500 deliveries completed)

Quote:

Truck choice.

I would say there is no choice at all. Just go with Roadtrain.

Overall this is the best truck that you can get. Case closed.

Trailer or no trailer.
As you are probably aware you drive with trailer attached if you are driving Roadtrain or other semi-trailer truck and doing so you would get 15% more money for each delivery. Yet from my tests it is not worth it. With trailer attached you need to drive more carefully especially on corners and bumps so your trailer will not be separated from truck, corners as sharp as 90 degrees might require you to use reverse so you keep within the road, you are slow as potato rolling down the hill with almost zero acceleration. Overall, in my eyes, it is not worth at all.

In my opinion, truck choice expands to an additional truck. The rest are just bad, straight up. Tanker isn't bad but it's not fast enough. Trucking involves speed as well as control. The two choices are Roadtrain and Flatbed.

As you said the Roadtrain is overall a great truck, but the case isn't closed here. There's choices and then there's "which one is the best", sadly they both have flaws.

Roadtrain - with trailers, you are a snail and a target, even if the trailer can be used to defend against people. Yes, a trailer offers a 15% bonus but to answer; trailers aren't worth it. You sometimes need to take shortcuts and do wild things, and having a trailer doesn't quite allow you to get away with that. Maintaining a trailer is indeed a skill, but it's also not convenient or necessary. Roadtrains max speed is 142 km/h / or 88 mph (not measured on places that limit speed), Roadtrains cannot be recovered on its side, but they have good turning - stuff you already said. Balanced vehicle speed and control wise, don't use a trailer period, can decently make 6+ deliveries in a day.

Flatbed - no trailer support, not a semi like the rest (which might hurt hardcore truckers or RP truckers), it is faster than the Roadtrain. Max speed is 157 km/h or 98 mph, on Gant Bridge, it was between 120 and 135 km/h so compare to that a Roadtrain, going across a bridge without Nos. Did I mention it was fast? Speed is an important factor to trucking, imo. Since you make at least half or more of your money from the time bonus from a Flatbed, the difference in speed actually matters. They can be used to drive off The Big Ear and do shortcuts if you can time it right but.. here's the catch - a Flatbed is pretty much a potential kamikaze truck if you don't know how to control it. Mastered or even close to that, it's a little easier but still dangerous if you take hit the wrong hill or angle you'll go flying / or flip. It's not as good as turning but unlike the Roadtrain, it can be regained on its side, the tires must be moving else it'll blow up (hold W / S + Space, I use W, and keep tilting it back and forth using A and D).

Speed wise, Flatbed eats up everything but it's the harder one to master. If you take the time to learn how to drive and control it, you can easily do 6+ deliveries in a day. For not having a trailer bonus, it makes up in time bonus, as you see here $60408 - 75 a game minute. Faster = less taken out from time bonus. I didn't do this delivery but I estimate, this is probably wrong.. about 2m 50s (170 seconds), time bonus would be 47658, looking through my recorded deliveries notepad, at this moment, Evil Ninjas is worth like 27,600 (rough estimate) so if I completed this, I'd get $27,600 + $47,658 + $5000 or 79358

I don't use Roadtrains anymore but I am estimating if you did without a trailer, I'm sure you'd be like 10 to 20 seconds late (depends on length, amount of corners) you'd be a few thousand less, it makes no difference here but across the map wise, it does.

Also, the lower the Goods and Services, the more you get from trucking. The more, the less. I'm not comfortable giving the exact percentage but that's all I have to say.

Sat Apr 16, 2016 4:36 pm
Captain

Personal Text: Retired old fart trucker
Neat, I like this.

However, like you have it on enabled, you should include about "Simple Trucking Mode" somewhere in the guide (perhaps in the tips), which can be enabled in the game settings using /settings. It will always select a random pick-up location ($5k pickup bonus always), and you would not have to chose a pickup location yourself, which I personally find very nice and more convenient.

My Stats

Sat Apr 16, 2016 8:41 pm
Profile WWW
Officer

Personal Text: oh well
if you ever wanted to challenge yourself, you can disable the GPS route assuming that you know all the pickup and delivery location. I find out that some of the routes are not worth follow like "some guy shack" in fern ridge.

wanted to elaborate something in tips and tricks:
-if somebody drove towards you in your lane, you might as well slow down and let them drove past you, its likely they will not crash into you unless they have eye sight problem or they are dumb enough to believe this is a derby server and crash into you intentionally.

-keep your distance from crossfire happened within players and wanted pursuit(especially rustler), you do not want to involve in these situations.

might as well keep yourself away from these problem(not breaking the rules obviously) , you do not wanted these to ruin trucking experience.

Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:47 pm
CnR Admin

Great guide, and trucking is the best!
Id add to the guide that its the best to truck with K - Rose on ;)

Sun Apr 17, 2016 4:14 am
Sergeant

Personal Text: master_w0w!
It's a great guide however I never understood why is the truck "Dune" never mentioned anywhere.
In my opinion it's the second fastest truck in the game and it's pretty easy to control so..

Sun Apr 17, 2016 12:07 pm
Commissioner

Personal Text: Joined forums (Play2Hard): Aug 27th-2010, 7:04 pm.
I liked the structure and info, good job fella.

Other guides: pastebin.com/LPYyyXKU

Sun Apr 17, 2016 12:56 pm
Profile WWW
CnR Admin

x6tence wrote:
It's a great guide however I never understood why is the truck "Dune" never mentioned anywhere.
In my opinion it's the second fastest truck in the game and it's pretty easy to control so..

Ah, the Dune... it may have great acceleration and control, but you can't put nos on it and it's not very fast at 110 km/h.

Speed wise, it's the same level as a Linerunner, which is slow.

Fastest trucks are Flatbed (157 km/h), Roadtrain (142 km/h), DFT-30 (130 km/h) / Cement Truck lol (130 km/h), Tanker (120 km/h), and then those two, Pony.. Dumper somewhere down here and anything else I forgot

I'm not saying it's not fun to use, though.

Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:15 pm
Sergeant

Personal Text: master_w0w!
everything. wrote:
x6tence wrote:

Ah, the Dune... it may have great acceleration and control, but you can't put nos on it and it's not very fast at 110 km/h.

Speed wise, it's the same level as a Linerunner, which is slow.

Fastest trucks are Flatbed (157 km/h), Roadtrain (142 km/h), DFT-30 (130 km/h) / Cement Truck lol (130 km/h), Tanker (120 km/h), and then those two, Pony.. Dumper somewhere down here and anything else I forgot

I'm not saying it's not fun to use, though.

It looks kinda cute and it's smooth, that's why I like it 8-)

Sun Apr 17, 2016 5:45 pm
Recruit

Thank you all for your replies. I do appreciate all of them greatly.

everything. wrote:
Great guide, but a few things from a fellow trucker (~6500 deliveries completed) ... Flatbed - no trailer support, not a semi like the rest (which might hurt hardcore truckers or RP truckers), it is faster than the Roadtrain. Max speed is 157 km/h or 98 mph, on Gant Bridge, it was between 120 and 135 km/h so compare to that a Roadtrain, going across a bridge without Nos. Did I mention it was fast? Speed is an important factor to trucking, imo. Since you make at least half or more of your money from the time bonus from a Flatbed, the difference in speed actually matters.

I haven't mention it in the guide since I found that very vehicle very unstable on any moderate bumps and corners (since it takes ages to steer). I would still add it into guide: maybe with disclaimer that it is not advised for new players. I would make 3 hour test with Flatbed and then I would share results with you.

MapleSyrup wrote:
However, like you have it on enabled, you should include about "Simple Trucking Mode" somewhere in the guide (perhaps in the tips), which can be enabled in the game settings using /settings. It will always select a random pick-up location ($5k pickup bonus always), and you would not have to chose a pickup location yourself, which I personally find very nice and more convenient.

Yes, I have it enabled yet, honestly, I wasn't quite sure what for. Thank you for pointing that out. I will put it in Preparation suggested section.

musicBox wrote:
Id add to the guide that its the best to truck with K - Rose on ;)

It is already in the "Conclusion" section, but i would add word of two somewhat in the end of tips. We all know that hours of driving with no music in the background make you bored to bones.

Henry_Woods wrote:
wanted to elaborate something in tips and tricks:
-if somebody drove towards you in your lane, you might as well slow down and let them drove past you, its likely they will not crash into you unless they have eye sight problem or they are dumb enough to believe this is a derby server and crash into you intentionally.
-keep your distance from crossfire happened within players and wanted pursuit(especially rustler), you do not want to involve in these situations.

I have it already included but maybe I have wrote about it too much "in general". I would put your suggestions into guide.

x6tence wrote:
I never understood why is the truck "Dune" never mentioned anywhere.

If Dune do have only 110km/h maximum speed I will not mention it in the guide. As for my experience most of the time you are driving at maximum speed. I would imagine that picking up truck with 110km/h maximum speed would decrease your earnings dramatically.

Thank you all once again. Your suggestions are added in the guide; as for 3hour flatbed testing I would conduct it tomorrow afternoon (results of which will be presented in less than 24 hours) 8-)

Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:13 pm
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next