It is currently Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:35 pm

Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 [GUIDE] Making the most out of UPS Deliveries (UPD 12/10/12) 
CnR Admin

Post [GUIDE] Making the most out of UPS Deliveries (UPD 12/10/12)

When done correctly, UPS deliveries can be an effective way to earn cash, or simply a way to pass the time if there is nothing better to do. Either way, hopefully the points made in this detailed guide will aid you should you choose to complete any UPS missions in the near future.

***NOTE: This guide was purposely meant to be written for people who lack common sense. It may contain blatantly obvious facts; you are hereby warned beforehand.

----BEFORE YOU CONTINUE READING----

First off, it's important to be aware that UPS Missions require plenty of patience. Unlike trucking, the destination for your delivery is almost always on the move. Furthermore, your recipient may not know how to accept your package, or even worse, he/she may purposely refuse it. On a server with an abundance of nubs and haters, expect plenty of failed deliveries. Because of these possibilities, you must always be prepared for a worst-case scenario. I'll explain how to deal with these scenarios later on, but overall if you cannot handle depending your completion of the mission on the actions of another player, then perhaps UPS deliveries isn't for you.

Starting the Mission

It is required that you have reasonable experience driving on the roads of GTA San Andreas and follow the proper conducts of driving. Some good advice on this can be found in Carl2's Police Guide, which can be read here. The best location to start the UPS Mission would be in the main city, preferably near a congestion of businesses. Remember, you want to travel the shortest distance possible for a bigger time bonus.

Typing the command /ups and entering 1 starts your mission. Immediately you are prompted by a textdraw which tells you the destination from where you'll be picking up your package. You are given a time limit of 6 hours (6 min real time). Finding the destination should be no problem, since you are guided by a GPS system. However, if you find that the destination is too far from your current location, the great thing is that there's no time limit between cancelling a mission and starting it over again. You can always /cancel the mission and type /ups again, which may give you a closer location.

Having a pickup location of less than 0.8 miles, shown the example above, would be ideal. For anything higher, it would be wise to restart the mission so you can maximize your earnings. If after several attempts you cannot find a closer location, deal with the one you currently have and move on.

Picking up your Package

Once you arrive to your destination, exit your vehicle and lock it using /lk before entering the premises. Locking your vehicle may or may not be necessary depending on any presence of players (aka potential carjackers) near your location. But it's best to always do so, just in case.

After you enter the business location, you are given the name and id of the person you will be delivering your package to. Don't muddle around. Immediately exit the location and head out towards that player.

In the event that a player steals your vehicle, find the nearest vehicle and continue your mission since it would be counterproductive at this point to restart your mission if you plan on doing them consecutively. However, if you're far from the main city and there's no cars in sight, cancel the mission and return to the city where you can start over.

Delivering to the Recipient

Heading towards your recipient might be challenging if he/she has no idea that you have a package for them. Try letting them know via PM or main chat. If you use the main chat, it may be helpful to use the quickstring $dest. It will type out the player's name and id without you having to type it out manually. Once the player knows that you have a package, they may head towards you, greatly increasing your time bonus.

From my experience, people tend to be more suspicious of your UPS Delivery when your skill is listed as Con Artist or Pick Pocket, as they fear you might rob them. It would therefore be advised to avoid choosing this skill for completing these missions. Even if you don't have one the aforementioned skills, always be reassuring to your recipient in a friendly tone so that you don't scare them away.

During your journey towards that player, don't waste your time using the /loc command. Instead, press 2 consistently to update the both the location and direction of your player's whereabouts. Using /i might be helpful as well to know the color of your player's blip (Ninou).

Offering your Package

Finally, you arrive to the player. What's next? Press 2 or enter /ups to offer your package to that player. If the player doesn't respond, encourage them a bit by PMing/whispering to them on how to accept the package. If the player asks why they should accept your delivery, tell them that they receive free money/clothes/items in return. On a side note, there's a small chance that your package may contain a bomb planted by Ted Kaczynski. This may seem silly, but never mention this to your player and always be mindful of your distance to avoid the brunt of a possible explosion.

If after a few times the player still doesn't budge, don't harass them with lagpits and racist insults. Attacking them will not make them accept. This is a common occurance (at least from my experience) that you'll simply have to deal with. Just /cancel the mission and restart.

Note: Don't tell them to type 1 after /ups, since apparently the accept and refuse options can switch places with 1 and 2...

If the player doesn't refuse your package and actually accepts, well then mission accomplished. :)

How much can you earn?

Image<-- Outdated

The max amount of cash you can earn from UPS Deliveries is $33,000 with 6min left ($15k as the base reward plus a $18k time bonus). Achieving this would be impossible, so a practical amount to earn would be in or around the $24k - $30k range. You lose $50 each second, and $3000 every minute. At 1 second left, $15,050 is the least amount of cash you can make. If you're competitive, try aiming for a time limit of 1 minute, assuring that you'll receive over 30k.

Although the money earned is usually less than that of fishing or trucking, there's fewer risk factors involved. Unlike trucking, you are not in a slow truck if you choose a fast vehicle, and unlike fishing, you won't risk getting eaten by a Sea Monster. The only risk is the small possibility of an explosion in your package and an even smaller possibility of dying from the explosion, which can easily be avoided by keeping your distance.

Here's the amount of cash one can earn, broken down into minutes:

6:00 left - $33,000
5:00 left - $30,000
4:00 left - $27,000
3:00 left - $24,000
2:00 left - $21,000
1:00 left - $18,000
0:01 left - $15,050
0:00 left - $0

Formula: amount = 15000 + [18000 - 50*(seconds passed)]

If you want to maximize your earnings during consecutive missions, it would be best to have a fast vehicle that you can easily handle (i.e. Cheetah, FCR-900) and that you have the mechanic skill so that in between missions, you can /vehrepair your vehicle to avoid taking a trip to the Pay N Spray. Another option would be to have a salesman skill and offer your /ws /mech/ /item /h /drugs services to your player after they receive your package (Ninou).

When to Cancel your Delivery

To save time and frustration, it would probably be best to cancel your delivery if your recipient..

- is Wanted Level 6 or higher. He/she may be in the middle of a police chase and may not have time to stop and accept.
- is a hitman in the middle of doing his/her job.
- is in an air vehicle/boat and doesn't respond to your delivery request.
- is [BOT]Thomas, [BOT]VIARail, [BOT]CrazyTrain, or any other BOT in a train and is outside of the main city.
- is your enemy and/or someone who dislikes you. High chance of refusal.
- is racing a BOT or trying to complete a Race Challenge
- is just busy in general and makes it clear to you.

Someone refused your package?

If your recipient refused your UPS package, you have the following options:

- Sit in a corner and cry
- /sue <player_id>. Be creative with your reason. (ex. refusal caused years of psychological distress)
- /rob the player if he/she is on foot. (If the player is in a car, do not disable his/her vehicle)
- Offer the player your skill services

I may add more points and details in the future. In the meantime, if you have any suggestions, corrections, comments, or further questions, feel free to post a reply below. Thanks for reading!

Changes/Edit History:

29 September 2012 | Posted Guide for the first time
29 September 2012 | Corrected grammatical errors, typos, and certain word phrases
30 September 2012 | Changed the $deldest quickstring to $dest as a faster alternative (Located in section Delivering to the Recipient)
30 September 2012 | Added the /i command as an additional way to locate the player (Located in section Delivering to the Recipient)
09 October 2012 | Removed the advice for telling recipients to "type /ups and 1" and added a note about the accept and refuse options (Located in section Offering your Package)
21 Novemer 2012 | Revamped the entire "How much can you earn?" section and included a formula for reference (Located in section How much can you earn?)
09 December 2012 | Updated the "When to Cancel your Delivery" list (Located in section When to Cancel your Delivery)
09 December 2012 | Added info about the general player distrust of Con Artists and Pickpockets (Located in section Delivering to the Recipient)
09 December 2012 | Added a link to Carl2's post about driving tips (Located in section Starting the Mission)

Other changes/edits were either mistakenly undocumented or too minor in detail to be explicitly noticed by the readers.

Last edited by robotmonkey on Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:11 am, edited 9 times in total.

Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:49 pm
Captain

Personal Text: Gentlemen?
Post Re: Making the most out of UPS Deliveries
I have actually not paid attention to the UPS missions in the new version. I have not tried them. People have come up to me and I always accept the delivery. Others PM me telling me that they have a package for me etc.. and I wait for them without moving. Anything to make this guy's work easier.

After reading this guide, I will now give it a try next time I log in to the game. Nice guide. Great effort in it!

Last edited by Eliseo_L on Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:26 pm
CnR Admin

fantastic guide RM, nice layout, love the title pic and good content! :)

Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:29 am
Sergeant

Personal Text: Hi!
Thanks! I am going to try UPS Mission again :twisted:

Edited by 4Four :P

Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:06 am
Commissioner

Personal Text: Music is the soundtrack of your life.
Great guide indeed, let me try help help some more ;)

First little thing, i dunno why many players seems to use this $deldest because i'm pretty sure $dest is just the same in shorter cmd. Atleast that's the one i always used. So if you write it yourself in main chat i guess it will be faster ;)

Quote:
During your journey towards that player, don't waste your time using the /i or /loc command. Instead, press 2 consistently to update the both the location and direction of your player's whereabouts.

I myself still sometime use the /i to make sure which vehicle the /ups target is using as he might change it.

The default "2" or /ups doesn't show what vehicle is used. (it also doesn't show what "color" is the player, because if he turn yellow or orange, it will be easier to find him on radar, so the /i is still useful imo ;) )

Quote:
encourage them a bit by PMing/whispering to them on how to accept the package (ex. type /ups and 1)

I think it's a bad advice since i'm pretty sure the accept/refuse is sometime switched, just like the /jury option in example. So saying "/ups and 1" is maybe not always helpful.

Sometime it's :

1. Accept
2. Refuse

And sometime it's :

1. Refuse
2. Accept

But i'll try to pay more attention next time i recieve some /ups package to be 100% sure of this.

And i guess you can make an "obvious list" of when the /ups can be cancelled. (Like when players quit, die, get arrested) So indeed delivering to warrant players is not really a good idea since they might be busy and be arrested so the mission would just fail.

About what kind of stuff we can recieve from this mission, good luck making that list xD

So far i heard there is a majority of useless item like "dvd, ps3, kittens, cookies etc..." but sometime it can be cash or clothes. (I never heard about someone recieving other useful items like condom, drugs, ad pill etc... So if anyone recieve this kind of item, feel free to share ;) )

Also you can add you can use some helpful salesman skill while doing those /ups mission, since you will travel a lot, you will be able to sell your stuff to other players, and also to the one your delivered the /ups package ;)

Since the package can contain nothing useful, being able to sell some /ws /mech/ /item /h /drugs will alteast be something the other player could buy ^^

ps :
Quote:
Finally, you arrive to the player. What's next? Press 2 or enter /ups to offer your package to that player.

Thx i learned something lol, i always write /ups to offer them, i never thought offering with "2" :oops:

(01:50:53) (+SheepFucka) est-ce que je peux te donner une fessée avec mon dildo?

Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:46 am
CnR Admin

Thanks for all the positive feedback!

Ninouey wrote:
First little thing, i dunno why many players seems to use this $deldest because i'm pretty sure $dest is just the same in shorter cmd. Atleast that's the one i always used. So if you write it yourself in main chat i guess it will be faster ;)

Funny how that's on the website and I never noticed it enough to use it... will be changed.

Ninouey wrote:
Quote:
During your journey towards that player, don't waste your time using the /i or /loc command. Instead, press 2 consistently to update the both the location and direction of your player's whereabouts.

I myself still sometime use the /i to make sure which vehicle the /ups target is using as he might change it.

The default "2" or /ups doesn't show what vehicle is used. (it also doesn't show what "color" is the player, because if he turn yellow or orange, it will be easier to find him on radar, so the /i is still useful imo ;) )

Good point. Also would be helpful to know the player is a cop hiding in the PD garage, which has happened to me a lot.

Ninouey wrote:
Quote:
encourage them a bit by PMing/whispering to them on how to accept the package (ex. type /ups and 1)

I think it's a bad advice since i'm pretty sure the accept/refuse is sometime switched, just like the /jury option in example. So saying "/ups and 1" is maybe not always helpful.

Sometime it's :

1. Accept
2. Refuse

And sometime it's :

1. Refuse
2. Accept

But i'll try to pay more attention next time i recieve some /ups package to be 100% sure of this.

I've had around 5 packages delivered to me so far, all of which I'm pretty sure I entered 1 to accept. Or I could be wrong about this and I'm just really blind. :D If I could get some confirmation this will be changed.

Guide will be updated. Thanks Ninou!

Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:35 pm
CnR Admin

Personal Text: All Blue - Blue Peace and Blue Love
Very nice guide.

Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:21 am
Captain

Personal Text: <3
Sigma1 wrote:
Very nice guide.

Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:13 am
Commissioner

Personal Text: Music is the soundtrack of your life.
robotmonkey wrote:
Ninouey wrote:
Quote:

Sometime it's :

1. Accept
2. Refuse

And sometime it's :

1. Refuse
2. Accept

I've had around 5 packages delivered to me so far, all of which I'm pretty sure I entered 1 to accept. Or I could be wrong about this and I'm just really blind. :D If I could get some confirmation this will be changed.

Guide will be updated. Thanks Ninou!

I like being right :roll:

It's the same as the /jury option as i suspected.

Also i heard people saying you can die from a bomb while accepting a package. Since i never saw it yet, i won't believe it until i see it in-game or maybe seeing someone's screenshot ^^

It remind me the poisoned donut, it took me some times to actually learn from it and seeing it by myself :oops: So maybe the bomb in package is true.

(01:50:53) (+SheepFucka) est-ce que je peux te donner une fessée avec mon dildo?

Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:59 pm
CnR Admin

Ninouey wrote:
Also i heard people saying you can die from a bomb while accepting a package. Since i never saw it yet, i won't believe it until i see it in-game or maybe seeing someone's screenshot ^^

It remind me the poisoned donut, it took me some times to actually learn from it and seeing it by myself :oops: So maybe the bomb in package is true.

:cry: Careful, now.

We at SAM often make self-deprecating jokes usually with a theme of homosexuality, cause life's too short to take everything so serious. But, if you cop-tanked after the "attacking law enforcement" crime was introduced in 2012(?). You are more gay than any one of us could ever aspire to be.

Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:13 pm
Reply to topic   [ 54 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next